Unfortunately, urgent situations often arise when it’s least convenient – late at night, or just before you’re due to host guests. At times like these, it’s important to have a licensed emergency electrician on speed dial.
Not all situations require an emergency electrician in Raleigh, NC; some problems can be easily resolved yourself and others can be resolved at a more convenient time. But there are 5 times when it’s important to get urgent assistance for an electrical issue. Call an electrician immediately if you have an unexplained power outage, are at risk of electrical shocks, can smell something burning, or have a malfunctioning or damaged circuit breaker.
You Have an Unexplained Power Outage
First, check that your home is the only one on the block that has a power outage, then try resetting your electrical power supply using the main switch in your breaker box. If this doesn’t work, then you should call an emergency electrician to identify the source of the issue and reinstate your electricity.
You Are at Risk of Electrical Shocks
Ordinarily, an electrical system has built-in fail-safes to protect you from electrical shocks. If you have had an electrical shock from an outlet or your circuit breaker, it is important to immediately call an emergency electrician. Shocks are a sign that your system is improperly wired or is overloaded and, as there is a high risk of electrocution, this is an issue that should be handled by a professional.
You Smell Something Burning
If there is a smell of burning plastic in your home, check that none of your lights or appliances are the source of the smell. If not, there could be damaged wiring in your walls that can escalate quickly into a fire. It’s important first to shut down the power, and then call an electrician to make an urgent visit.
A Damp or Wet Circuit Breaker
If your circuit breaker gets wet, it is important to call an emergency electrician immediately. If there is moisture around your main circuit panel, there is a greater risk of electrocution, as well as a risk of causing great electrical damage to your home’s wiring and outlets. If you notice rust or corrosion around or on your circuit board, that also could be a sign of damp or water that will impact your electricity.
This is something to watch for in Raleigh, NC with the increased humidity levels in the summer, as well as rain and snow in winter that can lead to damp coming through the walls if you have compromised roofing or wall insulation.
A Malfunctioning Breaker Box
If your breaker box is making a buzzing or humming noise, it could be a sign that the breaker switch is faulty or there is a wiring issue. A faulty breaker switch is very dangerous as it could be failing to trip the system (a fail-safe that protects your electrical system from further damage). An issue with the wiring is also problematic, as it can lead to fire or damage to the entire home’s wiring. Regardless of the source of the issue, it is important to get immediate assistance.
Across America, over 200 people die by electrocution every year so finding a licensed, certified electrician should be your top priority. They should offer a 24-hour electrician service and should be located close by so that they can respond quickly in an emergency. offers a quality emergency electrician service to Raleigh, NC residents that is reliable and fast. All our electricians are licensed and certified to ensure that our clients enjoy great, efficient service.