Tips From A Certified Electrician in Raleigh, NC on How To Lower Down Energy Cost and Save Money
As the seasons change, electricity costs can start to creep up again. So, for homeowners, this might be a good time to take action on electricity waste at home. The seasoned electrical professionals at Crisp Electric have shared some of their top tips for cutting down on wastage, and it’s not the obvious culprits that might first spring to mind. Rather than focusing on the small wins such as mobile chargers and appliances with lights and a digital clock, the biggest energy savings can be found by investigating the appliances that consume the highest amount of energy.
These are the appliances use the most electricity, and Crisp Electric has shared their tips for minimizing them:
1. Water Heater
Crisp Electric’s Top Tips:
- Take shorter showers and wash clothes on a cold cycle
- Install insulation jackets around the water tank and accessible hot water piping throughout the house
- Reduce the temperature of the thermostat (120 degrees Fahrenheit should be hot enough)
- Consider regularly replacing the anode rod in the water heater to improve energy efficiency
If the refrigerator is on, then it’s using electricity and that has a price tag attached to it. The best way to reduce a fridge’s electricity consumption is to upgrade to the latest energy-efficient model, but if that’s not an option, there are still things that can be done right now to cut the energy costs down.
Crisp Electric Recommends:
- Increasing the refrigerator temperature to 36 degrees Fahrenheit, and the freezer temperature to 0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Reducing the number of times the fridge is opened and the length of time that it is open for
- Cleaning the vents and coils at the back and on the bottom of the fridge to improve efficiency
- If the door isn’t sealing properly, replace the rubber door gaskets and seals
3. Electric Heating
Moving into fall and with winter approaching, electricity costs are likely to start going up as the heating requirements increase. Whatever type of heating the home has installed, whether it’s baseboard heaters, an electric furnace or a naturally fuelled heating solution, there are things that can be done to bring down consumption which will lead to huge savings.
For reducing heating costs, Crisp suggests:
- Reduce the thermostat setting and put on a jersey
- Schedule yearly checks and replace the air filters
- Seal any leaks – especially around doors and window frames to help improve the home’s insulation
4. Air Conditioning
With summer a distant memory, it can be easy to forget about the cost of air conditioning, but it’s likely to be the home’s highest contributor to electricity costs in summer and these costs add up quickly.
Crisp Electric suggests the following energy-efficient best practices:
- Dress for the weather so that the thermostat temperature can be raised
- Check seals and insulation throughout the home
- Close curtains during the hottest hours of the day
Crisp Electric has been serving the homes of Raleigh, NC for many years offing fast, same day electrical repair services. For electrical work in Raleigh, Wake Forest, Knightdale, Garner, Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill, Morrisville, Apex and surrounding areas, give them a call on (984) 377-7870.
Distribution Links +